[VSOP Homepage] [IPE Homepage]
Rencontres du Vietnam - Institute of Physics and Electronics, Hanoi
Following the first school of physics initiated by “Rencontres du Vietnam” in Dalat in 1994, the Vietnam School of Physics (VSOP) is a series of high level international schools of physics organized every year since 1995 in different places in Vietnam by "Rencontres du Vietnam", France, and Institute of Physics and Electronics (former Institute of Physics), Vietnam. For twelve years, the VSOP has been attended by over 500 young physicists of Vietnam (over 400) and other countries
(100) under tutorship of 93 lecturers from Vietnam (22) and other countries. The schools cover a wide range of fundamental and modern topics of condensed matter physics, particle physics, astrophysics and cosmology.
The general topic of the school will be
Quantum Field Theory and applications to particle physics
and condensed matter physics.
For two weeks, 25 December 2006 – 5 January 2007, the school program will include lectures and exercise sessions as well as “mini-seminars” sessions where participants are encouraged to present short contributions in their fields of interest (with the help of senior participants). Applicants should have completed a Master's degree (or equivalent) in physics. Preference will be given to young physicists working towards a Ph.D. degree or working at a post-doctoral level. More senior physicists,
however, are also welcome to apply.
The school will accept about 40 students, expected to come principally from Vietnam and Asian countries but if allowed by the budget and other conditions, the school is ready to accept participants from other countries. Some support may be available for participants from developing countries.
Following the school (and if allowed financially), the second workshop
"PHYSICS FOR LARGE AND SMALL SCALE:
from the Planck scale through nano scales to cosmological distances"
(2nd PLSS) will be organized from 5th - 6th of January 2007. The workshop is open for participation of physicists from all countries. The purpose of organizing the workshop is promoting interactions and cooperation between physicists from countries in the region and from other countries in the world and between young and more senior and leading physicists. It also provides an opportunity to young participants of the VSOP to attend an high level
international scientific activity. The registration form can be found here (doc, pdf).
The school and the workshop are partly supported by the APCTP (Pohang, Korea) and the Abdus Salam ICTP (Trieste, Italy) as external activities.
- Rencontres du Vietnam, France.
- Asia-Pacific Centre for Theoretical Physics, Pohang, Korea.
- The Abdus Salam International Center for Theoretical Physics, Trieste, Italy.
- Vietnamese Academy of Science and Technology (VAST), Vietnam.
- Institute of Physics and Electronics, VAST, Vietnam.
- Institute of Material Science, Nhatrang branch, Nhatrang, Vietnam.
- National Research Program for Natural Sciences (Grant No 402106), Vietnam.
- Centre National de la Recherche Scientifique, France (being applied for).
- Francois LE DIBERDER (IN2P3, CNRS, Paris, France) and Sandrine LAPLACE (LAPP, Annecy, France)
Experimental state of the art in Particle Physics.
- Pham Quang HUNG (Univ. of Virginia, Charlottesville, Virginia, USA)
Topics in Physics of the Standard Model and Beyond.
- Seung-Hoon JHI and Hanchul KIM (POSTECH, Pohang, Korea)
Introduction to first principles calculations: atomic and electronic structures of materials at nanoscale..
- Sunil MUKHI (Tata Inst. Fund. Res., Mumbai, India)
Introduction to supersymmetry.
- Nguyen Van LIEN (IPE, Hanoi, Vietnam)
Transport in nanodevices.
- Chein-Hua PAO (National Chung Cheng University , Chiayi, Taiwan)
The physics in ultracold Fermi gas with spin population imbalance.
- Chin-Chun TSAI (Nat. Chengkung Univ., Tainan, Taiwan)
Experimental aspects of BEC.
- John WEINER (Lab. collisions, agrégats, réactivité, Toulouse, France)
Fundamental of Light Interacting with Micro- and Nano-scopic Matter.
- Houng YEE (KIAS, Seoul, Korea)
Introduction to two dimensional conformal field theory.
- THE PARTICIPANTS
Mini-seminars on topics of their choice.
SHORT TOPICAL LECTURES:
- Pierre BILLOIR (LPNHE, Paris, France)
Cosmic rays of ultra high energy: where do they come from ? how can we observe them?
- N.D. Hari DAS (Hayama Center for Advanced Studies, Kanagawa, Japan)
Confinement, Flux tubes and strings in QCD.
- Vittorio Del DUCA (INFN, Frascati, Italy)
Higgs physics. .
Please fill out the REGISTRATION FORM (DOC, PDF) and return it to the school secretariat (at the contact address given below) before 12 November 2006.
Please fill out the VISA FORM and return it to the school secretariat (at the contact address given below) before 20 November 2006.
For some people, it is simpler to apply for a tourist visa directly at the embassy/consulate of your choice. If you are from ASEAN countries, PR China, Japan, etc., you may not need a visa for a short visit.
- Nguyen Van Hieu (Hanoi, Vietnam).
- Seunghwan Kim (Pohang, Korea).
- S. Randjbar-Daemi (Trieste, Italy).
- Jean Tran Thanh Van (Orsay, France).
- Patrick Aurenche (LAPTH, Annecy)
- Philippe Dollfus (Univ. Paris Sud, Paris)
- Sang-Jin Sin (APCTP, Pohang)
- Tran Minh Tam (Lausanne Univ., Lausanne)
- Ahpisit Ungkitchanukit (CU, Bangkok)
- Pierre Darriulat (INST, Hanoi)
- Nguyen Mong Giao (IPE, HCM city)
- Nguyen Anh Ky (IPE, Hanoi)
- Bui Minh Ly (IMS, Nha Trang)
- Nguyen Hong Quang (IPE, Hanoi)
- Vo Van Thuan (INST, Hanoi)
- Nguyen Ai Viet (IPE, Hanoi)
- Le Thi Lien Chi (IPE, HCM city)
- Pham Thi Anh Tuyet (IPE, Hanoi)
- Ha Xuan Vinh (IMS, Nha Trang)
- Vo Thi Xuan Yen (IPE, Hanoi)
Ms. Pham Anh Tuyet / Ms. Vo Xuan Yen
VIETNAM SCHOOL OF PHYSICS
Institute of Physics and Electronics
10 Dao Tan, Ba Dinh, Hanoi, Viet Nam
Fax: (84-4) 766 90 50 ;
Tel: (84-4) 766 0221 / 834 7953 / 766 2107
Lecture and Conference Hall
Institute of Material Science
02 Hung Vuong, Nhatrang
Fax: (84-58) 521 847
Phone: (84-58) 523 206
E-mail: ims-nhatrang @dng.vnn.vn
03 Tran Hung Dao, Nhatrang
Tel.: (84-58) 521 246, Fax: (84-58) 523 416
If you arrive in Hanoi, HCM city or Danang first, you can go by train or fly to Nhatrang. Train and fight information can be found from:
CU: Chulalongkorn University.
IMS: Institute of Material Science.
IPE: Institute of Physics and Electronics.
INST: Institute for Nuclear Science and Technique.
HCMC UP: Ho Chi Minh city University of Pedagogy.
LAPTH: Laboratoire d’Annecy-Le-Vieux de Physique Theorique.